My Cabo Nightmare

Description of forum: Share your story. . Inspire others. . From the first attack or diagnosis to today, tell people they're not alone in this journey.
dremitchell

My Cabo Nightmare

Post by dremitchell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 pm

My journey all started I believe at a Cabo vacation my husband went on prior to my first attack. We were vacationing in Cabo San Lucas and were having the time of our lives. We went zip lining and drove ATV vehicles on the beach. It was so much fun. We vacationed in Cabo prior on the Pacific side of the ocean. This time we opted to try the downtown side. We also had a very romantic dinner cruise that I will never forget.
I was in the best shape of my life. I was working out with a personal trainer at the time. She really worked me out hard. Lindsay was a hard ass but really got results. I noticed a belly button infection which I thought was from working out so hard. I still have that infection at this time. It never truly went away. I was working in Minnesota as a traveling trainer for Comcast and loved my job. I received a prescription of Keflex and started it. I went to try White Castle fast food one night and had to run to the bathroom. I found out later from my class that the restaurant was nicknamed gut bomb for a reason. The only thing though is it got worse. I started getting dizzy and almost passed out in class a few times. I then went to an ER and they gave me IV fluids as I was dehydrated. I was also given some other antibiotics flew home the next day. I took some other tests and found out that I had C difficile. I had this intestinal infection for 3 months as well as parasites and Amoebas. I lost 15 lbs as well.
I thought that it all went away after drinking Vancomycin for 3 months straight. One night my husband and I were watching tv and I saw a green light flash in front of my eyes and lost sight completely for about a minute. My eyes were fine after and I thought nothing of it. A few days later I remember driving to work and it felt fuzzy looking at the mountains of Vasco. When I went to work I could not sign on to the computer. I could not see the screen. that was Oct 1, 2011! I was freaked out and called my supervisor to let her know. I never thought that would be my last day at work. I rushed to the hospital with my husband and met with a opthamologist at Kaiser Walnut Creek. He dilated my eyes and saw that my optic nerves on my left eye was pale. He sent me to the emergency room and I was given a round of IV steroids and sent home with some oral steroids to drink for 3 days.
I was sent to a neurologist and he received my MRIs that were taken at the emergency. He stated that I had some serious stuff going on and he was concerned. That same day he did a lumbar puncture. They looked for MS and meningitis. He then referred me to Dr. Hwang, a neuro ophthalmologist in Redwood city. He reviewed my MRI results and lumbar puncture. The MRI showed enhancements on my optic nerves and told me about Optic Neuritis.
A week or so after I got hit with Optic Neuritis in my right eye and everything went black. I was so scared. I cried so much. They gave me 1,ooo milligrams of IV steroids for 3 days. It was the most that Dr. Hwang had ever prescribed. It did't work. I was then admitted into the hospital and given plasmapheresis for 14 days. I actually did get most sight back in my right eye. It was 20/50. My left eye never retuned to any sight.
I was told that I had reoccurring Optic Neuritis by a doctor at the Mayo clinic in Minnesota. He also thought that I have Fibromyalgia.

While attending the Orientation Center for the Blind. I had multiple relapses and was continuously put on high doses of steroids as well as plasmapheresis I no longer have2 0/ 50 sight left in my right eye. I can see the color blue as well an any other bright colors. everything else is washed out. I have seen numerous neurologists from UCSF and Stanford as well as My Kaiser Neuro. My Kaiser Neurologist Dr. Marcus was able to have a blood sample sent to Oxford for the MOG test and it came back positive. At the time I was told that MOG was mild compared to NMO.

After completing the blind school I was able to get my Guide dog Newcastle. We have been together for 3 years now and he is a true blessing. I was able to finally get off the oral prednisone Oct 2016. I an currently doing IVIG treatments in hope that this will be the answer for me until Science catches up to me. I have been married to my husband for 8 years now and we will continue on this journey together. We attend all the Guthy Jackson Charitable Foundation patient day in hope of learning more about the horrible disease. Thank you for taking the time to read. Andrea
Attachments
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG (121.76 KiB) Viewed 4114 times

Cassandra

Re: My Cabo Nightmare

Post by Cassandra » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:09 am

Was it only your sight that was initially affected by NMO?
CassandraB💚

Return to “Forum: Share your Story”