Clinical Trials

In this category you will have access to a database containing journal articles in the form of abstracts and full journal articles.
HSowalla
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Clinical Trials

Post by HSowalla » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:05 pm

At present there is no definitive “cure” for Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO) .

Clinical research is seeking to find better ways to prevent, diagnose, treat, and eventually cure NMO. These advances come with improved understanding of the causes and effects of the disease. Clinical trials are designed to determine which medicines or procedures best benefit patients, and which may not. These studies often involve expert teams from academic, governmental and pharmaceutical sectors. In
some cases, clinical trials seek to test the efficacy of a new drug for a disease which has no proven effective therapy. In other trials, one treatment is compared with another to examine which may be best in
patients of differing disease stage or condition.

There are three phases to clinical trials, these include:

Phase I: usually designed to test the “safety” and to learn the best dosing regimen of a new drug to minimize side effects. Subjects are usually healthy volunteers, and the study is often relatively short in duration.
Subjects do not usually benefit from a Phase I study.

Phase II: usually designed to study the drug based on results from Phase I. Here, the drug, device, or procedure is evaluated in volunteer subjects who have the disease of interest. Phase II trials further refine safety, minimize adverse events, and begin to explore if and how the test agent may benefit the subject. Some volunteer subjects may benefit from a Phase II study.

Phase III: usually compares the test candidate (drug, device, or procedure) to a commonly used agent that has been proven to be at least somewhat effective in treating a condition, if one exists. This phase is designed to if the test agent is better than existing approaches, and where the agent might best fit in managing a particular disease.

Are you considering enrolling in a clinical trial? Here are some questions
you should ask:

● What is the purpose of the study?
● Who will fund the study?
● Who has reviewed and approved the study?
● How are study results and safety of participants being monitored?
● How long will the study last?
● What will my responsibilities be if I participate?
● What are the possible risks and benefits?
● What are my possible short-term benefits?
● What are my possible long-term benefits?
● What are my short-term risks, such as side effects?
● What are my possible long-term risks?
● Who pays for my medical care in relation to the trial?
● What happens if I experience an adverse event in the trial?
● Can I exit the trial at any time for any reason if I wish?
● What other options do people with my disease have?
● How do the possible risks and benefits of this trial compare with those options?
● What kinds of therapies, procedures and /or tests will I have during the trial?
● Will they hurt, and if so, for how long?
● How do the tests in the study compare with those I would have outside of the
trial?
● Will I be able to take my regular medications while in the clinical trial?
● Where will I have my medical care?
● Who will be in charge of my care?

[attachment=0]ClinicalTrials.pdf[/attachment]
Please visit: https://guthyjacksonfoundation.org/clinical-trials/ to learn more about
Clinical Trials. For more information on any of the above clinical trials or other
studies that may be happening in NMO please visit, http://clinicaltrials.gov
Attachments
ClinicalTrials.pdf
(99.1 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Heather Sowalla

"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness."

+NMO AQP4
Preventative Treatment: Imuran (250mg) + Rituxan (2 Full Doses Every 3 Months)

Admin Teen & YA Support Group

Return to “NMO Library”